A tasty soup with a bit of a zing from the Ginger – mmm my kind of soup.
1 Butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 red onion
1 or 2 red peppers
Coarsely grated ginger
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
parsley to garnish
75g of wholemeal/seeded bread cut into small chunks
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
800ml any stock of choice
2tbsp vegetable oil
- Place the onion and garlic (if using) into the pan with the oil and cook until softened.
- Add the butternut Squash, red pepper, ginger and chilli flakes
- Stir being careful that nothing gets burnt
- Pour the stock over the mixture
- Leave to simmer with a lid on until the butternut is soft
- Put the chunks of bread onto a baking tray. Drizzle with some of the oil and all the mixed herbs and season with black pepper.
- Transfer to a blender until smooth
- Serve with croutons and garnish in the middle
This soup freezes well.
This week I’ve felt the need to be a little more conscious of what I’m eating. I’ve doubled the amount of water that I usually drink in a day and no snacking at all once I’ve eaten my evening meal. I’ve also been more active in an evening. I used to walk a lot in the evenings but it seems to have lapsed and just confined to a weekend. Also 15 minutes before eating an evening meal I’d eat half a grapefruit. The enzymes are supposed to help to burn fat though has it many other benefits in a diet.
I decided to make a hearty Chicken Chorizo & Chickpea Casserole.
Adapt quantities for your household
2 large potatoes (adaptable)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
8 slices chorizo (adaptable)
2 chicken fillets (adaptable)
1 leek or onion
can of chickpeas (drained)
can of chopped tomatoes
300 ml chicken stock or stock cube
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1.5 tsp chillie flakes
Good handful of kale or spinach
- Bring the potatoes to the boil for 8 minutes and drain
- Add the oil to a pan and cook the chicken pieces
- Add the onion/leek and chorizo until onion/leek are softened
- In a large pan/casserole dish put all the ingredients apart from the spinach/kale and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes
- Put in the spinach/kale for 5 minutes
Sprinkle the casserole with parsley, serve and enjoy!
As for my desert…
Well it had to be a slice of homemade Coffee and Walnut cake!
Did I lose weight – yes and feel much better for it.